Kanye West, self-proclaimed musical genius, fashion extraordinaire, and living legend has obnoxiously finagled his way into the limelight once again. I mean, when it comes to Kanye West, most either love him or
hate him. I guess I fall in the middle. I am definitely not a fan and I don’t agree
with some of his antics, but I do believe there is some genius in that brain of
his, which at the same time makes me feel okay about thinking he's absolutely crazy! Well everything all started about two weeks ago when he
engaged in a Twitter altercation with rapper, Wiz Khalifa. In about twenty
tweets, Kanye expressed his distaste for Wiz Khalifa and accused him of
inappropriately incorporating his wife, Kim Kardashian’s initials in a tweet.
After attacking Wiz Khalifa, he went on to bad mouth his ex and Wiz
Khalifa’s son’s mother, Amber Rose. Wiz Khalifa must’ve really ruffled his
feathers because never have I have seen someone go so far as to needing to use
“17th of all..” in an argument. Days before this particular rant,
both Kim and Kanye had been posting several Twitter polls pertaining to album
titles, possible song lists, and possible album cover artwork. Could that
somewhat pointless Twitter rant have just been a marketing strategy to gain a
bit of publicity before the album dropped and the premiering of his new
clothing line at the exclusive Yeezy Season 3 show? I think so, considering the
next day everything was supposedly solved between the two rappers.


Now, let’s move ahead a few weeks. After the album drops and the show is over, Kanye takes to twitter to address song lyrics where he
calls singer Taylor Swift out of her name and claims that her fame should be
accredited to him. Fans, nor her brother, Austin were too happy about this
(Austin videos himself throwing away a pair of shoes from Kanye’s line). Kanye
claims that the word he used to describe Taylor (and his wife on a different
occasion) is a term of endearment. He also claimed that Taylor and everyone
mentioned in the song gave him the permission to discuss them in the song. But
I’m not sure how true that was after listening to Taylor subliminally address the issue in her acceptance speech last night at the Grammy’s.




Most recently, Kanye has taken to Twitter AGAIN and has used
it as a medium to ask for very generous ($1 billion generous) donations from
Mark Zuckerberg and Larry Page. He says that he is in debt $53 million and
needs the money to continue to produce great art, while still being able to
feed his family. That kind of sounds like a personal problem, Kanye! Mark
Zuckerberg donates his money to charities, everybody knows that, so I’m not too sure what Kanye was
thinking when he pulled this one, but I guess we'll see.




I
know this was kind of a lot, so to bring everything back in, what do you think Kanye’s
purpose of all of this is? At this point, everyone is asking why? Why so many
Twitter rants in less than a month? Is he really out of his mind? Or has he
successfully shown us how great of a marketing genius he is by taking advantage
of our thirst to be involved with the industry via social media? Although he's
not the most polite and the exact opposite of politically correct, he has a
purpose and a passion that no one can deny. He knows we're addicted to
refreshing our timelines and he knows we're wondering what all of the hype is
around. One way or another, he's going to get people to listen, watch, and
possibly learn a thing or two.
No comments:
Post a Comment